Discover a new world with close-up photography! Close-up photography reveals a world of photographic opportunity. There are limitless possibilities for exploration when you get up close and personal with close-ups. This is one of the best ways there is to jump start your creativity.
In this class we will be working with close-up and macro photography as your equipment permits. We will cover all the how-to camera settings, controls and techiques and also work on image design. With the setup of a small indoor studio you can enjoy close-up photography year round.
This course includes TWO LESSONS and TWO ASSIGNMENTS.
LESSON ONE OUTLINE
- What is close-up photography?
- What camera, lenses and accessories work for close-up photos
- What is macro?
- Camera settings
- Shooting techniques
- When to use manual focus
- DOF preview button
LESSON TWO OUTLINE
- Understanding depth of field for close-up photos
- Dew drops & mist
- Importance of background
- Filling the frame
- Designing your images
- Composition tips
- Setting up a small indoor studio
Please read these requirements. You will need appropriate equipment for this class.
- A digital SLR with any or all of the following:
- A macro lens (Macro lenses have a 1:1 maximum magnification. Examples are for Nikon: Nikkor-Micro 60mm, 105mm 200mm and for Canon: Canon Macro 60mm, 100mm or 180mm.)
- A wide angle lens with 28mm or wider focal length
- Telephoto lens and extension tubes What's that?
- Close-up filter (e.g. Canon 500D) What's that?
- Reversing ring and prime lens (e.g. 50mm, 28mm or 24mm) What's that?
- A point and shoot camera with close focusing ability. Check your camera's specs and make sure that the macro mode can get you within an inch or two.
If you would like to get started with close-up photography, we recommend starting with the Canon 500D Close-up Lens. It is affordable and gives excellent
results. Read more about it.
Check it out at B&H.
HOW IT WORKS
- You will receive the first lesson on the course start date.
- This short course includes two comprehensive lessons in PDF format with detailed instructions and an assignment. You will have two weeks including two weekends to work on each assignment.
- You can ask questions, post work in progress, ask for help or chat with your classmates or instructors as you work on your assignment. We are here to help and a lively discussion makes the class a richer experience for everyone.
- After shooting the assignment you will upload your photos to the website by the due date and we will critique your photos and give you helpful advice and tips.
- The class is open for two weeks following the second assignment and we can answer any follow up questions you have after the critiques.
|COURSE MATERIALS ONLY
|Purchase the course materials only for this course as an on-demand tutorial for instant access with no instructor.
Visit our On-Demand Tutorials for details.